- for 4 cakelets or 1 big one -
This recipe is originally from Germany, we ireland-ized it with our salmon on the side!
300g / 10oz spinach leaves (frozen)
75g / 2.5oz flour + flour for the moulds and work surface
50g / 2 oz ground almonds
1 tsp sugar
75g / 2.5oz cold butter + butter for baking pan(s)
1 egg yolk + 1 egg (medium-sized)
1 garlic clove
2-3 tablespoons raisins
1 tblsp olive oil
150g / 5oz cream fraîche
3 tblsp almond flakes
200g Burren hot smoked salmon
1. Defrost spinach. Knead together flour, ground almonds, sugar, salt, butter (cut into little flakes) and the one egg yolk. Chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the (electric) oven to 175°C / 350°F. Peel onion and garlic, dice them and fry off gently in olive oil with the raisins. Take 4 baking pans (Ø 12 cm / 5in), or 1 big baking pan (Ø 26cm/10in), grease them and then dust them with flour. Squeeze the excess water out of the spinach, cut it into fine pieces. Then salt and pepper it and add it to the onion mixture.
3. Mix cream fraîche and the remaining egg. Add salt and pepper. Dust the work surface with flour and roll out the dough until it is about 5mm/0.2in thick. Cut out the dough a bit bigger than the baking pan(s), and press it into the pan(s).
4. First fill in the spinach mixture, then the egg mixture on top. Pour the almond flakes evenly over the top. Bake for 30 minutes at 175°C / 350°F. Serve hot or cold with the Burren Hot Smoked Salmon on the side.