Ingredients: (serves 4)
1kg mixed vegetables such as onion, leek, carrot, diced potatoes
7g Irish Moss (carragheen)**
450g of white fish/smoked fish fillets such as cod or pollock, skinned and boned
225g shellfish such as mussels or prawns
110g Burren smoked salmon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Seafood Chowder with Seaweed
- Dice all the vegetable.
- Melt the butter. Add the vegetables (except the potatoes) and sweat them for about 5 minutes, but don’t colour them.
- Add water, dillisk and carragheen, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and the milk. Simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Cut all fish into cubes of approximately 1cm. Add all the fish and shellfish, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste.
* Dillisk is a purple reddish sea vegetable which is high in iron.
**Irish Moss/Carragheen is rich in calcium and other essential vitamins and minerals.