- serves 2 -
4 oz / 110 g butter
4 medium-sized leek, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1.5 oz / 40 g flour
1/2 pint / 230 ml milk
4 eggs, separated
6 tbsp freshly grated parmesan (reserve 2 for rolling roulade)
8 oz / 225 g ricotta or cottage cheese
chopped chives, coriander, parsley
4 oz / 100g Burren Cold Smoked Salmon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C. Melt the butter and add the chopped leeks. Sweat for a few minutes and add the crushed garlic. Add the flour. Cook it through in the pan and then gradually whisk in the milk stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Take pan off the heat, and carefully add the egg yolks to the mixture one at a time whisking vigorously.
2. Mix in most of the parmesan cheese and salt to taste. Whisk the egg whites and fold through.
3. Pour onto a large baking tray covered in parchment paper and bake at 350°F / 180°C for about 15 minutes. Slice the salmon into strips.
4. Switch off the oven. Allow the baked mixture to cool a little. Sprinkle the last two tablespoons of parmesan on a large sheet of baking paper and turn the roulade onto this. Spread the ricotta cheese, chives, herbs and the salmon strips onto it. Put it back in the switched-off oven for a few minutes to heat up the cold ricotta and salmon without baking it.
5. Roll it up. Serve with rice and a selection of salads.